COVID-19: the EU Committee of Regions to Launch an Exchange Platform to Support Regional and Local Communities Across Europe
The European Committee of the Regions (CoR) has developed an action plan focussed on local and regional governments to provide support and assistance in the fight against the COVID-19 outbreak. The plan consists of five concrete operational steps, including an online exchange platform:
1) foster EU support to local and regional authorities in the health sector, via the call for an EU Health Emergency Mechanism;
2) create a platform to exchange, cooperate and facilitate mutual support between cities and regions across the EU; the platform will provide local and regional leaders with an opportunity to share their needs and solutions and to enhance mutual support between local communities across Europe;
3) provide, through CoR mechanisms, concrete feedback from the local and regional angle on how to address the health, social and economic aspects of the pandemic and their impact on the people and their local communities;
4) provide regular, practical information to local and regional authorities on EU measures to address the crisis;
5) facilitate a reality check on the ground of the EU's measures to fight the pandemic; gather evidence from Members to improve EU policies based on the experiences of the local and regional level (policy health check).
More information on the CoR's action plan can be found here.